Shriram Krishnamurthi from Brown University

:wave: Name: Shriram

:speech_balloon: Pronouns: he but they is also fine

:hourglass_flowing_sand: How do you spend your time: I am very fortunate to be able to restructure my week. So, most afternoons, instead of doomscrolling during the post-lunch slump, I get some exercise in (which is also my “mental health break”, “meditation time”, etc.), mostly on a bicycle. I read a lot (you can see my reviews of some things I’ve read). The two sports I follow are bicycle racing and cricket.

:earth_americas: Where are you located: Providence, Rhode Island, USA. Providence is on the US east coast, in the northeast, between New York City and Boston — by car and train, an hour south-west of Boston and three hours north-east of New York. We’re an end-point of the Boston commuter rail system. Rhode Island is the smallest state in the US. It is often used as a unit of measure and is very useful for that purpose, because it has just a bit over 1 million people and 1,000 square miles. I’m originally from Bengaluru (born, raised, schooled), and Lalbagh remains my happy place.

:nerd_face: What’s something Google won’t tell us about you: I’m not going to say, because it’ll end up on Google. <-;

:books: Tell us about a book that you frequently like to gift or recommend: The most profound book I’ve read in the past few years is Guy Deutscher’s The Unfolding of Language, a book that tries to do for language what Darwin did for biology and, before him, Lyell for geology.

:thinking: I am looking forward to CRiCKET because: India has tremendously important questions and needs in computing education. Addressing them can’t be done just by proceeding on vibes; it also very much needs research, just like any other human intervention — like medicine — does. Unfortunately, India has very few researchers (and few research-informed practitioners) in this field. My goal is capacity-building: helping to create a pool of people who can change that. In turn, computing education as a whole will benefit, because it suffers from over-representation of WEIRD (Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, and Democratic) societies and under-representation of everyone else.

:link: We can find you at (socials, github, website, substack etc.): My nascent blog site, My work page, GitHub, X/Twitter, Mastodon, Bluesky.

7 Likes

Your book reviews are amazing — since you mentioned this, have you considered having a Goodreads profile? It seems like a reasonable compromise between “webpage” (too much work?) and “X threads” (risk of vaporizing) — I imagine you could export from GR more easily than X if it comes to either service shutting down…

(HT)

I’ve definitely considered it, but every one of these sites stays good for like 5 years and then goes under. I guess Goodreads has lasted a lot longer, but still.

I used to write them on my personal Web site. Mothballed that.

2 Likes