MJ - not the music artist, not the spidey friend!

:wave: Name: Mrityunjay Kumar, I go by MJ in my most recent incarnation, in different geographies and different epochs, kumar, ku-ma, or mrityu.

:speech_balloon: Pronouns: he/him

:hourglass_flowing_sand: How do you spend your time: Reading and writing that gets me closer to finishing my PhD, ideating about how I can significantly impact education in India, learning new words and concepts from my teenage daughters.

:earth_africa: Where are you located: Hyderabad, India

:nerd_face: What’s something Google won’t tell us about you: I used to write Hindi poetry in college, and one day, I will publish a book of Hindi poetry when I regain my Hindi language skills which has been battered, bruised and almost killed by my English.

:books: Tell us about a book that you frequently like to gift or recommend: Thinking in Systems, by Donnella Meadows. It has changed my perspective on how I see things around me (family, workplace, research, community) and I wish others can gain from a systems perspective as well; the book is a great primer for the topic.

:thinking: I am looking forward to CRiCKET because: As I embark on my next innings of my career, there are big challenges I wish to undertake. I am a novice with grey hair in this journey, and I wish to learn as much as I can from experts and passionate people in the area - CS education research is the foundation for me, and the way this has been conceptualized, I think it will provide me with great experience and learning around posing problems, looking from a research lens, and ultimately solving them by applying scientific methods - the prospect of a curated peer group and a spirited leader excites me no end!

:link: We can find you at (socials, github, website, substack etc.):my alter ego, LinkedIn (my professional self), Twitter (my daily dose of what is wrong with the world), Instagram (to talk to my daughter!)

7 Likes

Meadows’s book is very nice!

3 Likes

Ah, how cool — incidentally, I don’t know if you’ve meet Supreet Saini at IITB, but he has been writing short stories in Hindi for a while now, and there’s now a book too. You should meet Mubashir Ahsan when you are here, he runs a fantastic poetry appreciation course in Urdu at IITGN.

I feel the same way about my Hindi and Kannada: IIRC I was reasonably comfortable with both in school, and have almost completely forgotten both over time. I can still speak Hindi somewhat passably (thanks, Bollywood), but can’t read it any more, and with Kannada I can only somewhat understand if people are speaking slowly and enough English words are mixed in :face_with_peeking_eye:

Speaking of poems in Hindi, I really enjoyed listening to Sukoon :slight_smile: I’ll look forward to reading yours!

2 Likes

Thanks @neeldhara! Would love to connect with Mubashir Ahsan, please help make the connect when I am there.
Haven’t read Supreet, will go do it now.

Sukoon one is very well written and rendered, and it is so good to see literary content getting the popularity. I will wait for the day when I can render my poems through AI videos so that I avoid becoming a performer!

Losing touch with a language is painful, so is not picking one when one should. I have now spent 10 years in hyderabad in two innings, but haven’t managed to pick even basic Telugu, very shameful! Trying to correct this now.

1 Like

Yep, will do…

+1 — I come back to it often for whenever I need the calming vibes.

Heh, you might surprise yourself in terms of how you feel about performing over time :smiley:

+1. I am in the same situation w.r.t. Gujarati, despite having lived here for 8+ years now, also hoping to get better about this!

1 Like