Establishing adaptive and inclusive computing education frameworks

My problem statement is the following.
Establishing adaptive and inclusive computing education frameworks that consistently evolve to meet the demands of emerging technologies

Context:
The field of computing is characterized by rapid advancements with emerging technologies continuously shaping industry needs. In response to this dynamic environment, there is a need to establish adaptive and inclusive computing education frameworks that evolve alongside technological developments which ensures the opportunities that are accessible to a broad and diverse population of students.

Question:
How can computing education frameworks be structured to adapt seamlessly to the rapid evolution of emerging technologies while maintaining inclusivity and accessibility for students from diverse backgrounds?

Problems:
The traditional computing education model often struggles to keep up with the swift changes in technology, leading to outdated curricula and a potential mismatch between academic preparation and industry requirements. The challenge is to develop frameworks that foster adaptability, ensuring that students are equipped with the latest skills and knowledge while also addressing inclusivity concerns, such as diverse learning styles, backgrounds, and accessibility requirements.

Constraints:
Curricular Rigidity, Faculty Development, Resource Limitations, Inclusive Pedagogy & Industry-Academia Gap

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing, @Lavanya ! I found it very intriguing. My current focus revolves around “teaching accessibility”—educating students about digital accessibility. However, there’s a related concept known as “teaching accessibly,” which involves fostering inclusive practices, ensuring accessibility of teaching materials for all, and incorporating Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles, among other things. I believe your issue aligns more with the latter. In a way, this ties into the interest expressed by @mrityunjay.mj as well.

To a certain extent, I believe that some level of rigor in curricula is still necessary. In my opinion, academia should not simply conform to industry demands. For instance, including courses that introduce the fundamental aspects of computing, such as architectures, computer organization, or an operating systems course, software engineering is crucial. I’ve observed that some private universities solely focus on programming and high-level application development to prepare students for tech jobs. While this approach may be suitable for a training institute, an academic degree should not neglect essential core computer science aspects and needs to maintain a balanced curriculum. I may be mistaken in my perspective, and I’m eager to hear insights from the experts during the workshop :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Arguing about principles can often be fraught, but as a very practical matter, many of those “tech jobs” will either evaporate or simply not pay as well as people are hoping when they go to these degree programs. (Think about the kinds of things that can be automated with AI tools.) People who were only given a shallow education may find themselves without a job at all. That alone should be enough to scare those education providers.

2 Likes

Folks, let me make a high-level suggestion. While these are all important questions, most of us are not in a position to influence what everyone in a country should do. There is almost no point in trying to scope our activities for CRiCKET at that level, both because we will not obtain anything actionable, and because we will easily end up in unproductive high-level discussions (eg, theory vs practice). Many of these are questions that (a) have no right answer and (b) have been debated for thousands of years (so you will not settle them in 2.5 days).

I ask that we instead focus on topics that are largely within our control, plus maybe an epsilon. Wht are challenges my students face? How can I make my courses do better at something? What are concrete questions I can study? Reframe your concerns in personal terms. Also because, to know whether you have made progress and figure out how to improve your interventions you need to measure, but you can’t measure things at global scales, only local.

4 Likes

Very interesting problem statement @Lavanya, I would love to know more about your work so far and plans. I have strong opinions on this and related topics and would love to discuss them over a cup of tea!

2 Likes

Yes, it seems like the workshop agenda is being set by the participants ;-).

I am looking at all these discussions as ways to know who is working on what topics in India so that I can stay connected with those conversations and directions, and hopefully influence and get influenced by them.

4 Likes